Mar 18 2013, 03:00 AM by Andy Shore
Sunday was St. Patrick’s Day. I hope y’all enjoyed some fun and safe celebrations. Inspired by the holiday, I decided to make this playlist feature some of the songs I’ve sung most while inebriated. Seriously, though...at college bars, regular bars, walks to those bars, at karaoke or a dueling piano bar, I’ll always the one singing (and not particularly well). I’m starting it off with two songs off the new Sound City album. Any time you get to hear new tracks with Stevie Nix and Sir Paul McCartney...you take it. I put them both at the beginning, so you’ll be sober enough to pay attention to them. Then take a trip with me down hazy memory lane.
- “You Can’t Fix This” - Sound City f. Stevie Nix: It’s like a new Fleetwood Mac track, except nobody in the Foo Fighters is sleeping with Stevie Nix.
- “Cut Me Some Slack” - Sound City f. Paul McCartney: A Nirvana reunion track with Macca playing the role of Kurt Cobain. There’s ample footage of the recording of this song in the Sound City movie. At one point while recording harmonies Dave Grohl turned to Paul and asked why it couldn’t always be as easy as the one take it took them. Paul smirked, shrugged his shoulders and replied, “it is.”
- “Sweet Caroline” - Neil Diamond: I believe that it’s a scientific fact that it is physically impossible for a human being with alcohol in their bloodstream not to sing the “bah bah bahs” in this song.
- “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg” - The Temptations: My three roommates and I very carefully planned where we lived our senior year of college. It was the direct epicenter between all the best college bars. We once decided to start a Temptations cover band (name never determined) while on one walk to the bar whilst singing this song. True story.
- “Livin’ on a Prayer” - Bon Jovi: Great group drinking sing-a-long.
- “I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow” - The Soggy Bottom Boys: I cannot tell you why, but my roommate my sophomore year of college and I used to sing this all. the. time. Great movie. Fun Song.
- “Piano Man” - Billy Joel: If John at the bar is a friend of yours too, you’ll understand why this song had to be in this playlist.
- “Chelsea Dagger” - The Fratellis: This might be one of the songs that makes me happiest. Why? Because it plays every time the Blackhawks score at home (and in my head when they’re on the road). I heard it a whole bunch on our road to the Stanley Cup a couple seasons ago.
- “Take Me Home, Country Roads” - John Denver: I don’t have anything clever to say about this. It’s just a song lots of people sing when they drink...or maybe it’s just me.
- “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” - Dropkick Murphys: You can’t really have a St. Patty’s Day playlist without a song like this on it.
Posted in Bar & Nightclub