The primary goal of any community moderator has to be to serve their community in an essentially selfless manner. Neither the exact medium or the fundamental theme of the community matters at all, as the sole predominant factor which the moderator must work towards is to ensure that the online community is seen by its participants as worthy of ongoing commitment and engaged interaction. You must always keep in mind that the interest in a particular topic or the ability to seamlessly interact with other like-minded individuals is only part of the appeal of your community, as the primary factors are the quality of your community members’ interaction with each other and the value which is provided to each and every participant.
- Start off with minimal structure and allow the group to evolve its own processes over time.
- Greet newcomers with sincere enthusiasm and take the time to show them the ropes.
- Get your participants comfortable in their community setting by making them feel welcome.
- Don’t sanction individuals for violating your procedures unless you can be confident that it was a malicious act.
- Pontification makes for bad moderation so speak directly to individuals and don’t deliver vague lectures.
- Use your community’s software capabilities to hide or delete objectionable comments and content.
- Promote reaction to comments and encourage your community members to follow suit.
- Recruit the more active and responsible members to assist you in your duties for the sake of the community at large.
- Nurture the development and participation of “gurus” with specialized knowledge and experience.
- Ladle out the compliments and praise both through public and private messaging.
- Avoid making a scapegoat out of a violator by applying enforcements in a fair and firm manner.
- Make sure that your entire community is crystal clear on what constitutes reasonable use and what is a violation.
- Ask for feedback and be ready to accept any and all constructive criticism.
- Grow a much thicker skin and consider it part of the job as there will be many times when you could be offended or hurt.
- Swing the ban hammer only when all other possible alternatives have been applied with no success.
A community is only as great as its moderator, and if you are duly dedicated to the development of your group you must commit to excellence in every aspect!
Are you ready for a smarter way to engage with your customers?
Benchmark helps you do email marketing the practical way. Create an ongoing relationship with your subscribers that leads to increased sales and happier customers.