In many ways, Thanksgiving is what Christmas once was before it became a consumerist frenzy: A traditional holiday centered around celebrating with family and friends. However, that Thanksgiving focus away from strictly material things doesn’t necessarily translate into it being any less attractive or lucrative from an email marketing perspective as long as you follow these top seven thankful Thanksgiving tips!
- The coupon for a free turkey is always a favorite, so co-op with a supermarket chain and provide your customers with a really tasty holiday treat! You can be sure that it will be mentioned around the Thanksgiving dinner table that your brand’s coupon was responsible for the bird and you will receive thanks that you can take to the bank.
- If you’re not the kind of brand that can afford a rather pricy promotion like providing a free turkey dinner, why not reward your customers with some really outstanding Thanksgiving recipes that they can prepare themselves? You can go classic and traditional or opt for the nouvelle cuisine approach. Anything that can break the tyranny of the “dry turkey with cranberry glop” dinner will be appreciated thankfully.
- Thanksgiving is just the American version of a nearly universal harvest festival. If you can run some short articles or other insights in your email missives as to how other cultures celebrate their harvests your customers will thank you for the enlightenment. For example did you know that the Japanese Harvest Festival, known as the Honen Matsuri, is celebrated by participants who have taken advantage of the all you can drink sake and proceed to parade an eight foot long, 600 pound wooden phallus all around town?
- Taking the onus off the technological gobbledygook of Black Friday will be rewarded with thanks by your less high-tech customers whose idea of being avant-garde is finally graduating from dialup to broadband. This may seem like a touch of 17th century heresy, but if you’re ignoring the millions of Americans who don’t have a smartphone, a tablet, or a media player hooked up to their (CRT?) television sets, you’re missing out on a great market. They’ll be thankful that you’re paying attention to their Early Colonial mentalities!
- Why not take the time to thank your suppliers, associate companies and varied vendors this Thanksgiving and give your customers a rare opportunity to find out what happens behind the scenes at your company? Perhaps you’d want to highlight the consistently efficient trucking firm which gets your products all over the country, the supplier who goes over and above the call of duty in providing sustainable and eco-ethical materials, or the web designer who has created those stunning and memorable holiday layouts?
- You can show how thankful you are for your own business’ blessings by giving back to your community in a selfless and generous manner. You can get your staff to volunteer in providing Thanksgiving dinners to the homeless, publicly adopt a noble cause, or provide cash grants to meritorious charity organizations. Lead by example, make your customers aware of your actions though your email marketing messages, and your brand will be amply thanked as well!
- Providing some light-hearted Thanksgiving content that your customers will thank you for is a superlative strategy for the holiday season. How about adding a link in your Turkey Day email to the phenomenal clip from the old WKRP In Cincinnati comedy series where they throw turkeys out of the traffic helicopter and Arthur “Big Guy” Carlson memorably says: “As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.” It may be one of the best segments in the history of sitcoms!
You can Rock Plymouth and the rest of the country by using your gourd to come up with thankful marketing approaches that will grab your customers by the gizzards. Win over your [English] Dissenters and don’t fear being corn-y. Remember: It’s far better to be a Thanksgiving sage than a holiday out-cider, so take advantage of feasting on the blessings of the season by garnering a cornucopia of thankfulness from your customers… and don’t be so [Pil]grim! Wattle you say?
Are you ready for a smarter way to engage with your customers?
Benchmark helps you do email marketing the practical way. Create an ongoing relationship with your subscribers that leads to increased sales and happier customers.