If you’ve pitched a couple of great ideas on what type of video email marketing campaigns to create, the inevitable question you’re going to get is:
What’s the return on investment?
It’s the nuts and bolts response to any creative marketing idea and you’re going to hear more and more responses like this as you shift from start-up to enterprise. To help you answer that question, I’ve formulated a list of stats that help you make the case for a creative campaign to your higher ups.
- According to Dr. James McQuivey of Forrester Research, the value of one minute of video is equal to 1.8 million words. Imagine writing that much copy.
- Forrester also found that video click through rates increase by 200-300% versus text alone.
- Meanwhile, video lead-ins saw over a 50% increase in email subscribers.
- The 2014 Online Video Marketing Survey and Trends Report, published by Flimp Video Management, found that 82% of the marketers they surveyed say video email marketing is effective.
- In a Forbes survey, 75% of executives watch work-related business videos weekly. Out of that pool 65% visit the marketer’s website after seeing the video.
- In the same survey, 59% of executives would rather watch a video than read copy.
- Wondering how many people watch videos each day? 100 million.
- 90% of online shoppers said a video helped make their decision to buy.
- The market for email video is about 45% of the total email marketing industry, according to comScore. The company also found that the average user spends a little over 16 minutes each month watching a video.
- According to Marketing Vox, 63.9% of 5,000 people watched to completion a video sent by email.
- According to the Online Publishers Association, 80% of internet users who recall watching a video ad on a website they visited in the past 30 days.
- Of that 80%, 46% took some action after viewing the ad. In fact:
- 26% looked for more information about the subject of the video
- 22% visited the website named in the ad
- 5% visited the company represented in the video ad
- 12% purchased the specific product featured in the ad
- According to Experian’s 2012 Digital Marketer Benchmark and Trend Report, including the word ‘video’ in an email’s subject line saw an increase of 7%-13% in overall click-through rates. Meanwhile, Videoretailer.org reported that using the word ‘video’ in the subject line helped achieve increases in open rates of up to 20% vs. no ‘video’ in the subject line.
- Embedding a video in an email generated an average conversion rate 21% higher than emails containing a static image alone, also according to the Experian 2012 report.
- David Daniels, former principal analyst at Forrester Research and current principle at Relevancy Group, says that video in email can increase click-through rates by as much as two times to three times, according to David Daniels.
Regardless of what industry you’re in, video is working. How and where you use video should depend on what the stats are saying. If you’re goal is more subscribers, and your resources are limited, than the first order of business would be to create a video opt-in message with a direct call to action for subscribing.
Are you ready for a smarter way to engage with your customers?
Benchmark helps you do email marketing the practical way. Create an ongoing relationship with your subscribers that leads to increased sales and happier customers.