Newsletters have become a trendy and cost-effective way for businesses to maintain consistent outreach with their subscribers and alert them of important milestones and rollouts. With an eye-catching design, easy-to-read layout, and a clear purpose, your newsletters can become more engaging for your audiences, leading to higher open rates that turn into conversions.
However, the wrong newsletter template can be the difference between delighting your subscribers or ending up in their spam folder.
If you’re looking to up the engagement with your newsletters and create emails that bring some joy to your subscribers’ inboxes, we’ve got you covered! We’re diving into five unique ideas for templates that can supercharger reader conversion — complete with essential elements and optimization tips tailored for maximum impact. We’ll also offer up best practices for creating effective newsletter templates to ensure you and your business can maximize the benefits of your email campaigns.
What is a Newsletter Template?
A newsletter template is a pre-designed layout used for creating email newsletters. The templates typically include pre-made graphics, designs, and layouts to simplify assembling a newsletter. They can be customized to match the brand’s aesthetic, and personalized content can be added based on the needs of the target audience.
Why are Newsletters Essential For Business Growth Today?
Let’s discuss why starting a newsletter for your business or brand is essential in today’s climate.
- Building Relationships: Newsletters provide a regular, personal touchpoint with subscribers, allowing businesses to build and maintain relationships with their audience. Companies can establish trust and credibility by providing valuable content, leading to increased engagement and conversions.
- Driving Traffic: Newsletters can be used to drive traffic to a business’s website, where subscribers can learn more about the business’s products or services and make a purchase. This can lead to increased sales and revenue.
- Staying Top of Mind: Regular newsletters help to keep a business’s brand at the forefront of subscribers’ minds. By consistently providing value, companies can stay top of mind with their audience and be the first choice when they need the products or services offered.
- Segmentation: Newsletters allow businesses to segment their audience and target specific groups with personalized messages. Segmentation can increase the relevance and effectiveness of the newsletters, leading to improved engagement and conversions.
- Cost-Effective: Unlike other content marketing channels, newsletters are a cost-effective way to reach a large audience and drive conversions. They do not require a significant investment in advertising and can be automated, saving time and resources.
5 Newsletter Template Ideas To Help You Increase Conversions
What follows are a series of templates you can send to your customers who have become subscribers. These newsletters represent different stages of the customer buying journey that your subscribers are on.
You can create each template, fill in the details for each specific customer (more personalization improves conversions), get software tools that auto-fill information, and send them to your customers.
The welcome newsletter is the first email a subscriber receives after signing up for a business’s mailing list. It serves as an introduction to the brand and sets the tone for future communications. The purpose of a welcome newsletter is to make a solid first impression, provide valuable content, and encourage subscribers to engage with the business.
Key elements to include:
- A warm greeting and introduction to the brand
- An overview of the products or services offered
- A call-to-action to encourage subscribers to explore the website or take a specific action
- Social media links to connect with the business on other platforms
- A personalized touch, such as a special offer or discount
Use email automation to ensure your welcome email template goes out to anyone subscribing to your newsletter instantly.
Product/Service Update Newsletter
The product/service update newsletter is used to keep subscribers informed about new products, services, or updates related to the business. It helps keep subscribers engaged and informed while promoting the business’s offerings.
Key elements to include:
- A clear, attention-grabbing headline
- High-quality images or videos of the new products or services
- Detailed product descriptions and specifications
- Customer reviews or testimonials to support the products or services
- A call-to-action to encourage subscribers to make a purchase or take a specific action
This is an essential newsletter to send out. A regular newsletter updating your customers on new products or services will also keep your business fresh in your customers’ minds, making conversions easier.
Abandoned Cart Newsletter
The abandoned cart newsletter is sent to customers who have added items to their shopping cart but still need to complete the purchase. It serves as a reminder to complete the transaction and provides an opportunity to address potential objections.
Key elements to include:
- A friendly, personalized message to remind the customer of the items left in their cart
- Images of the items left in the cart
- A time-sensitive offer, such as a discount or free shipping, to incentivize the customer to complete the purchase
- A clear call to action leading the reader to complete the purchase
- An FAQ section to address any potential objections or concerns
The more customers you get back that you think you have lost, the better your conversions are. It costs nothing to create an abandoned cart newsletter template, but it can provide excellent returns from customers close to making a purchase.
Lead Nurturing Newsletter
The lead nurturing newsletter engages with potential customers who have shown interest in the business’s products or services but have yet to purchase. It provides valuable content, such as tips and tricks, to build trust and establish the company as a thought leader in the industry.
Key elements to include:
- Relevant, valuable content related to the products or services offered
- A clear call-to-action to encourage subscribers to take a specific action, such as signing up for a free trial or making a purchase
- Social proof, such as customer reviews or testimonials, to support the products or services
- An invitation to connect with the business on social media or to sign up for a webinar
Converting readers into buyers is a massive part of increasing business. If your newsletter can nurture your leads and help restore them to customers, it pays for itself ten times over.
The post-purchase newsletter is sent to customers after they have made a purchase. It serves as a follow-up to the transaction and helps to foster a relationship with the customer.
Key elements to include:
- A thank-you message to the customer
- Information about the product or service purchased
- Tips for using or getting the most out of the product or service
- An invitation to connect with the business on social media or leave a review
- A call-to-action to encourage repeat purchases or refer the company to others.
Newsletters like these are essential for your business because they keep the customer primed for future sales.
Best Practices for Newsletter Templates
Certain elements should be included regardless of the template you use for your newsletter. Implementing these features into your newsletter will make it more enjoyable and increase conversion.
Personalized newsletters can enhance a business’s email marketing efforts significantly. Personalization can include the subscriber’s name, location, or purchase history. This helps to create a sense of connection with the subscriber and increases the likelihood that they will engage with the content.
Mobile devices are becoming increasingly popular for checking emails. To ensure that newsletters are easily readable on any device, it is essential to optimize them for mobile. This includes using a responsive design, larger font sizes, and keeping the overall layout simple and clean.
Use of Images and Graphics
Images and graphics can break up text-heavy newsletters and make them more visually appealing. They can also help to highlight key points and make the content more memorable. When using images and graphics, it is vital to ensure they are high-quality and optimized for fast loading times.
A clear and prominent call-to-action (CTA) is essential to any newsletter template. CTAs can include buttons, links, or other elements that encourage the subscriber to take a specific action, such as purchasing or signing up for a free trial. CTAs should be placed in a readily noticeable location and use clear, concise language.
One of the newest software tools to hit the market recently is AI writing tools. These tools can help you write newsletters in a flash. Writing tools such as Jasper.ai have templates you can fill in, while AI chat tools like ChatGPT can be asked to write any kind of newsletter you need.
Sign up for a free Benchmark Email plan and take advantage of the Smart Content feature powered by OpenAI. Smart Content uses your prompts to craft fresh email copy in minutes!
Newsletters are a valuable tool for businesses looking to increase conversions. By creating templates that are personalized, optimized for mobile devices, visually appealing, and include clear CTAs, companies can create newsletters that are effective in driving engagement and increasing conversions.
Your best course of action is to test different templates and make updates as needed to ensure that you are constantly improving your email marketing efforts.
Andrew Dunn is a serial business builder with over seven years of experience growing businesses. He is the founder of INDMND.com, providing valuable insights for business owners to leverage technology to 10x their businesses. He is passionate about scaling businesses using SEO and content marketing.
Are you ready for a smarter way to engage with your customers?
Benchmark helps you do email marketing the practical way. Create an ongoing relationship with your subscribers that leads to increased sales and happier customers.