The eCommerce industry moves at the speed of light. And now, with the recent AI developments largely impacting digital marketing, it can feel impossible to keep up.
Don’t get left behind. Instead, take advantage of this amazing tool to stay one step ahead of the game. You can use generative AI, like ChatGPT, to assist with every aspect of your marketing strategy. The results? You’ll work half as hard, twice as smart – and get more accomplished than ever before.
But where to start? We’ve rounded up nine ChatGPT prompts to show you how you can put AI to use in more ways than one. Be it to discover an untapped audience base, create social media captions, take care of email copywriting or get inspiration for future content ideas, ChatGPT can help you get creative with your marketing process.
Let’s dive in!
But First, What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a cutting-edge natural language processing technology developed by OpenAI. It is a large language model trained on a vast amount of data to generate human-like responses to text inputs, making it a powerful tool for conversational applications.
For marketers, ChatGPT can be used to enhance a marketing strategy by engaging with customers in a more personalized and conversational manner. For instance, you can integrate ChatGPT into your site’s chatbot. Instead of manning your bot with a person, ChatGPT can provide prospects and customers with immediate responses to their inquiries and even anticipate their needs based on their previous interactions.
Perhaps more interesting to eCommerce marketers, ChatGPT can also be used for content creation. With the help of ChatGPT, marketers can generate engaging social media posts, email campaigns, and even product descriptions. Additionally, it can be used for market research and analysis by analyzing large volumes of customer feedback and generating insights and trends.
Overall, ChatGPT is an innovative technology that can help marketers improve their customer engagement, boost their productivity, and gain a competitive edge in their industry.
What is a ChatGPT Prompt?
A ChatGPT prompt is a short message or question that is given to the ChatGPT AI model to generate a response. The ChatGPT model uses its training data to understand the context and generate a relevant response to the given prompt. Prompts can be on a wide range of topics and can be formulated in many different ways. For example, a prompt could be a question, a statement, a description, or a scenario. Users can input prompts to the ChatGPT model to receive responses and have conversations with the AI.
9 Ways to Use ChatGPT in Your eCommerce Marketing Strategy
1. Product Descriptions
If you have an online store with lots of product categories and items, you may have outsourced copy for product descriptions. ChatGPT can be leveraged to produce SEO-optimized product descriptions in an instant. While you still probably want the touch of a great writer to put the finishing touches on your descriptions, ChatGPT can help you work faster and more efficiently.
Here’s a prompt template based on an example from Artisan Shopper:
Prompt: Write a description for a [product type] [product attributes] [keywords].
Example: We’ll imagine we’re an upscale organic pet food store and ask:
Write a product description for premium, air-dried beef dog food made from all-natural, human-grade ingredients. It’s organic, made with USDA beef, best-selling, dog-preferred, and gives dogs a shiny coat.
Here’s the response – while it might need a little finesse, it’s a pretty solid description:
Introducing our all-natural air-dried beef dog food, made with only the finest, human-grade ingredients that you can trust. Our organic dog food is crafted with USDA beef to provide your furry friend with a premium, high-quality diet that they’ll love.
Our best-selling dog food is preferred by dogs of all breeds and sizes thanks to its delicious taste and excellent nutritional value. Our unique air-drying process ensures that all of the nutrients and flavor are locked in, making it a great choice for even the pickiest eaters.
Not only is our air-dried beef dog food nutritious, but it also promotes a shiny coat and healthy skin. Your dog will look and feel their best with every bite, thanks to the high-quality ingredients and careful crafting of our dog food.
At our company, we prioritize the health and happiness of your furry friend above all else. That’s why we only use the best ingredients and take care in crafting each and every bag of our premium dog food. Treat your dog to the best with our all-natural air-dried beef dog food.
2. Explore Audience Demographics
You may think you know your ideal buyer, but are there other types of buyers you’re missing out on? We spotted this prompt on Forbes – perfect for digging into your ideal customer profile or ICP. If you’re looking to expand your reach and aren’t quite sure what other audience demographics you should be targeting, try this prompt below:
Prompt: Write a list of 20 audience demographics that would benefit from a [product or service].
Example: Back to our organic pet food store example, we asked ChatGPT: Write a list of 20 audience demographics that would benefit from organic dog food.
- Pet owners who prioritize all-natural, organic products for themselves and their families
- Pet owners who are concerned about the use of pesticides and other chemicals in pet food
- Pet owners who have dogs with allergies or sensitivities to certain ingredients commonly found in non-organic pet food
- Pet owners who have dogs with digestive issues or chronic health conditions
- Pet owners who are looking for higher quality, nutrient-dense pet food
- Pet owners who have adopted senior dogs or dogs with mobility issues who require specialized nutrition
- Pet owners who have adopted puppies and want to ensure they receive optimal nutrition for healthy growth and development
- Pet owners who prioritize sustainable and environmentally friendly products
- Pet owners who prefer to support local and small-scale businesses that offer organic pet food options
- Pet owners who are vegan or vegetarian and want to ensure their pet’s diet aligns with their own beliefs
- Pet owners who have a holistic approach to pet care and want to incorporate organic food as part of their pet’s overall health plan
- Pet owners who are concerned about animal welfare and want to support companies that prioritize ethical sourcing and production practices
- Pet owners who live in areas with high levels of pollution or other environmental toxins and want to minimize their pet’s exposure to harmful substances
- Pet owners who are training their dogs for agility or other high-performance activities and want to optimize their nutrition for optimal performance
- Pet owners who are concerned about dental health and want to provide their dogs with a diet that promotes healthy teeth and gums
- Pet owners who have dogs with skin issues or coat problems and want to improve their pet’s overall appearance and condition
- Pet owners who have dogs that are prone to weight gain and want to provide a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet to help manage their pet’s weight
- Pet owners who have multiple dogs with varying nutritional needs and want to provide a single, high-quality food option for all their pets
- Pet owners who are concerned about the quality and safety of pet food ingredients and want to prioritize transparency and traceability in their pet’s diet
- Pet owners who want to give their dogs the best possible quality of life and are willing to invest in premium, organic pet food options to achieve this goal.
3. Create Goal-Oriented Content
We all know how important fresh, educational content is. We also know that creating content just for the sake of creating it is useless. Your content marketing has to be goal-oriented if you’re going to see any real results from it.
But who has tons of time to brainstorm topic ideas and write completely fleshed-out articles and blog posts? When you’re running your own business, there are a lot of items on your to-do list, and unfortunately, content creation doesn’t always take priority.
Instead, use ChatGPT and enter the following prompt to churn out a fully fleshed-out article in minutes.
Example: Back to our organic pet food store, we gave it a try:
Topic: Organic Dog Food
Audience: high-income singles who consider their dog their baby
Writing Style: authority on the subject, but delivered in a casual manner
Goal: purchase organic dog food brand
Here’s what we got:
Hey there, high-income singles! Do you consider your furry friend to be your baby? We totally get it! And if you’re anything like us, you want to provide your dog with the very best. That’s where organic dog food comes in.
As an authority on the subject, we can confidently say that organic dog food is the way to go. Why settle for anything less than the best for your fur baby? Organic dog food is made from all-natural ingredients that are free from harmful chemicals and preservatives. This means your dog will be getting the highest quality nutrients without any unwanted additives.
Plus, organic dog food is great for dogs with allergies or sensitivities. With no artificial colors, flavors, or fillers, it’s a gentle and easily digestible option for your furry friend.
Now, we know that organic dog food can be pricey. But, with your high-income lifestyle, we’re sure that you’re willing to invest in the health and happiness of your dog. And trust us, the benefits of organic dog food are worth it.
So, if you’re ready to give your fur baby the very best, we recommend trying out an organic dog food brand. Look for one that uses high-quality, organic ingredients and has a great reputation in the pet food industry. Your dog will thank you for it!
Ok, so it’s going to need a little editing, but it’s much better than starting from scratch!
4. Generate Social Posts
Social media is a mainstay channel for eCommerce. Many consumers head to a brand’s social media account before their website when looking for more information. It’s becoming more and more important for brands to have a social media presence, one that shares unique content and engaging tidbits that will keep your audience coming back for more.
Using ChatGPT to generate social media content is a great way to keep your accounts fresh with new content. Here are some great social media prompt ideas from Chat GPT Connect.
- Write a social media announcement about [product/change/launch].
- Write a social media post promoting [discount/voucher/promotion].
- Write X engaging hooks ideas for a social media post about [topic].
- Create a post to encourage customers to leave a review for our product [product name].
Example: Let’s try one of these for our organic pet food store. We asked ChatGPT to write X engaging hooks ideas for a social media post about organic dog food. We got some solid hooks to instantly give our social posts an edge:
- “Is your furry friend tired of the same old bland kibble? Switch to organic dog food and watch them drool over every meal!”
- “Give your dog the gift of good health with our delicious and nutritious organic dog food! Say goodbye to fillers and artificial ingredients.”
- “We believe that a happy dog starts with a healthy diet. Treat your pup to our organic dog food and watch them thrive!”
- “It’s time to ditch the processed dog food and make the switch to organic. Your pup deserves only the best, after all!”
- “Don’t you want your dog to live a long and happy life? Start by giving them the best possible nutrition with our organic dog food.”
- “We know that every dog is unique, which is why we offer a variety of organic dog food options to meet their specific needs and preferences.”
- “Say goodbye to upset tummies and food allergies. Our organic dog food is gentle on your pup’s digestive system and free from common allergens.”
- “Your dog is part of the family, so why not feed them like it? Our organic dog food is made with the same care and quality ingredients as human food.”
- “Make mealtime a bonding experience with your pup by treating them to our delicious and nutritious organic dog food.”
- “Your dog may not be able to talk, but their wagging tail and satisfied belly will tell you everything you need to know about our organic dog food.”
5. Formulate Hashtags
The secret to getting your social media content in front of the right untapped audience is in hashtags. Hashtags help you brand your social content and categorize it so that it populates the feeds of interested parties. Hashtags are also great for branding social media campaigns. If you’re struggling with what hashtags to create, ask ChatGPT for a list of hashtags to help you dial in on your target audience. Here’s an example of a prompt and the resulting response:
Prompt: Generate a list of hashtags for [business or product].
Example: We asked ChatGPT: Generate a list of hashtags for an organic pet food store
Here’s the list of hashtags generated:
6. Challenge the Dominant Narrative
Sometimes, hearing a truly fresh take on a topic is like a big breath of fresh air. Content saturation is real, and it’s the quickest way to lose interest from your core audience. However, if you’re able to offer a fresh take by challenging the dominant narrative, it could be a great way to gain attention and showcase your expertise in the space.
Rob Lennon offers an advanced prompt that helps craft thought-provoking content. This is perfect for helping your eCommerce business identify buyer objections that you may need to overcome or even help you form your unique value proposition or stance on a discussion within your industry.
Topic: Growing your email newsletter
For the above topic, give examples that contradict the dominant narrative. Generate an outline for thought-provoking content that challenges assumptions.
Example: We used the same prompt and applied it to a pet food eCommerce store. The output lists some solid objections buyers could have, as well as ideas for positioning the business and product to overcome those objections.
Topic: Feeding your pet organic food
For the above topic, give examples that contradict the dominant narrative. Generate an outline for thought-provoking content that challenges assumptions.
ChatGPT generated some nice examples, plus the content outline:
Examples that contradict the dominant narrative:
- Organic food is not always healthier: While organic food may be free from pesticides and other chemicals, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better for your pet’s health. Some organic foods may still contain high levels of carbohydrates or other ingredients that can lead to health issues such as obesity and diabetes.
- Cost of organic food: The common narrative is that feeding your pet organic food is more expensive. However, some non-organic foods may actually be more affordable and provide the same nutritional value as organic options.
- Understanding pet’s individual needs: The common narrative assumes that all pets will benefit from the same type of food, but the reality is that every pet has unique nutritional needs based on their breed, size, age, and overall health. What works for one pet may not work for another.
Outline for thought-provoking content:
- Explain the common narrative around feeding pets organic food
- Mention the examples that will be explored in the content
II. Organic food is not always healthier
- Discuss how some organic foods may still contain high levels of carbohydrates or other ingredients that can lead to health issues
- Provide tips for finding high-quality pet food, whether organic or not
III. Cost of organic food
- Explain how some non-organic foods may be more affordable and provide the same nutritional value
- Provide tips for finding afforda86ble, high-quality pet food
IV. Understanding pet’s individual needs
- Discuss how every pet has unique nutritional needs based on their breed, size, age, and overall health
- Provide tips for determining your pet’s individual nutritional needs and finding the best food for them
- Summarize the key points of the content
- Encourage readers to consider their pet’s individual needs and make informed decisions about their food, whether organic or not.
7. Provide Translation
Translating website copy into various languages can be tedious and eat up hours of your day. If your eCommerce store is international, then you know the struggle of having to create pages for multiple regions and ensure your message stays consistent across the globe. Instead of employing translators and teams to assist with this endeavor, save time and money by using a translation prompt.
The folks at Wordspath went above and beyond to test out the best prompts for translations. Here’s the winner..
Prompt: Please provide the [target language] translation for these sentences:
8. Assistance With Google Ads
Creating Google Ads just got a whole lot easier. You can use ChatGPT to help with almost every aspect of Google Ad creation. Such as:
- Ad structure
- Headlines and descriptions
- Landing page creation
- Scripts for video ads
- Audience research
- Keywords to bid on
There’s a lot to unpack here, so if you’re interested in leveraging ChatGPT for Google Ads, Claire Jarrett’s article gives some excellent prompt ideas and examples.
9. Build a Better Landing Page
ChatGPT can be used for more than just content generation. The team at UX Planet outlines three great landing page prompts for building a high-converting page from scratch. In this example, they break out the process of building a landing page into three steps, clearly outlining what ChatGPT needs to do to get better output.
Part 1: Define the structure of the page using ChatGPT
Here’s a template based on the prompt they used in their example:
Explain what content sections I should use for a web landing page for a [product] for [target audience].
Part 2: Design the page layout based on the ChatGPT description
Taking content sections generated from ChatGPT, the UX Planet team created a wireframe with placeholder text.
You may not be a web designer or UX expert, but you can easily use no-code tools, like Benchmark’s drag & drop landing page builder, to easily arrange your content sections with placeholder text.
Part 3: Fill out the layout with actual content using ChatGPT
With the layout in place and content sections ready for placeholder text, all that’s left to do is to ask ChatGPT for help generating content, and you have a fully baked landing page ready for your campaign.
More Resources on ChatGPT Prompts
When it comes to ChatGPT, marketers are just at the tip of the iceberg of using generative AI tools to create engaging content and more. Want to dig into more ChatGPT use cases? Check out these resources:
Bring AI Directly into Your Email Marketing Tool
Looking for more ways to up your eCommerce marketing game with AI? Check out Benchmark Email ‘s Smart Content, our AI email copywriting tool, powered by OpenAI. Create a free Benchmark Email account to see how generative AI can help you create better email content – with less work on your end. Try it for free >>
Are you ready for a smarter way to engage with your customers?
Benchmark helps you do email marketing the practical way. Create an ongoing relationship with your subscribers that leads to increased sales and happier customers.