There was a time when the world got its immediate information only through the radio and since that was also an age when the sun would never set on the British Empire, the broadcaster who was synonymous with English language news was the noble BBC. While the sun has long set on the mighty Empire, the BBC is still arguably the world’s best news organization. Especially at a time such as the Christmas holidays when your customers are pressed for time and just scanning email even more than they would at any other time of the year, applying the BBC’s headline secrets can help you craft subject lines that capture their fleeting holiday attention.
- Brief. Keep it short as people don’t read as much as they just scan emails
- Front-loaded. Have it front loaded with the keywords crammed at the beginning Comprehensible. Let it be understandable even out of context as it is usually viewed as part of a long list
- Summarizing. Ensure that the subject line summarizes the email as concisely as possible
- Relevant. Link your subject line to the predictability that it is directly relevant to the entire email
These five elements are the lifeblood in the structure of every BBC headline. Check this recent collection of writing tour de force for yourself and see if this doesn’t represent a master class in writing headlines or subject lines for that matter:
- Gulf Coast Braces For Storm
- Child Benefit Deadline Day Looms
- Cameron Defends Plans For Nurses
- Apple Axes China Firewall App
- Fresh India Protests Over New State
Applying the precision and conciseness of the BBC’s headline policies to your subject line writing will reward your brand with a wonderful Christmas present of higher open-rate metrics!
Are you ready for a smarter way to engage with your customers?
Benchmark helps you do email marketing the practical way. Create an ongoing relationship with your subscribers that leads to increased sales and happier customers.